Provide a title for your page
Food for Thought
"I like to sing ballads the way Eddie Fisher does and the way Perry Como does. But the way I'm singing now is what makes the money."
Did you ever notice, as you drive around, people singing in their cars? I think you see much more of this during the holiday season. There are radio stations that start playing carols 24/7 right after Thanksgiving. The cynical part of me says that it's very inexpensive for stations to do this, but I'm just like most guys who can't help but start singing Jingle Bells the minute it comes on the air.
Now I'm by no means a music expert. I have a vague familiarity with the genres that have developed in the past 25 years or so. But it's occurred to me that, with very few exceptions, no songs that can be sung are being written today, or for many years. Sure, Whitney Houston had a couple, and more than a few country artists have come up with "singable" songs, but the current generation of artists is not writing songs with a melody. Sure there are a limited number of exceptions, but I think not many. Here's a test. It doesn't really matter your age, since a great deal of this music is not generational, but considered classic. How many of these Rock & Roll genre songs can you immediately sing? I have them grouped by decade:
1. Respect - Aretha Franklin
I'll stop here - from 2000 on there's not much to sing, let alone hum! So who are the Sinatras of today? Or the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle, Aretha Franklin, Louis Armstrong, the list is endless. Am I wrong here? I think it's a shame that we have generations growing up who need to embrace the music of the past to fulfill the desire to sing in the shower!
Want to know my favorite song? Always on my Mind by Willie Nelson. And who's always on mine? My beloved Barbara. Today's our anniversary. She doesn't like for me to say how long, but for every year we've been together she's made me a better man. I'm half way to where she wants me to be!!
And...TADA...The Eatsie Boys Cafe is open & jumping! Be sure to stop by (4100 Montrose next to the Library), have some great food & say hi to Chef Matt & the "Boys"
I'm very excited that we'll have plenty of our new all-beef salami at the Market on Saturday. It's made from fabulous Longhorn beef from Fayette Cattle Company & has a wonderful blend of herbs & spices, fresh garlic, & a touch of apple-wood smoke. Even in the rain last week we sold out! Stop by the Market from 8:00 AM - Noon on Saturday for a taste.
You can order our products on-line or by phone. We ship all over the country, and we also offer free delivery within 10 miles of downtown Houston for orders of $35.00 or more.
We'll be at the Urban Harvest Eastside Market Saturday from 8:00 AM - Noon.
We've got our new Longhorn-Beef Salami & Chicken Liver Mousse this week. Made from Oaks of Mamre Farms livers. It has a silky smooth consistency that just makes your eyes roll & puts a smile on your face. It's a perfect appetizer - just pick up a baguette from Rose Marie at Artisana Breads & you're ready to go. Stop by the Market for a taste!
I'll have some wonderful preparations for you Saturday. Come by and have a taste.
2. Louie Louie - Kingsmen
3. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
4. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
5. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
6. Hey Jude - Beatles
7. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
8. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - Righteous Brothers
9. My Girl - Temptations
10. Light My Fire - Doors
1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. Hotel California - The Eagles
3. Imagine - John Lennon
4. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
5. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
6. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
7. Layla - Derek and the Dominos
8. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
9. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
11. Let It Be - The Beatles
1. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
2. Every Breath You Take - The Police
3. When Doves Cry - Prince
4. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
5. I Love Rock 'N' Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
6. Don't You Want Me? - The Human League
7. Tainted Love - Soft Cell
8. Like a Virgin - Madonna
9. The Message - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
10. Beat It - Michael Jackson
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
2. Losing My Religion - R.E.M.
3. One - U2
4. Nuthin' But a "G" Thang - Dr. Dre
5. Jeremy - Pearl Jam
6. Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
7. Waterfalls - TLC
8. Loser - Beck
9. Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio
10. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinéad O'Connor
If you can't make it to the Markets you can order our products on-line or by phone. We ship all over the country, and we also offer free delivery within 10 miles of downtown Houston for orders of $35.00 or more.
- Longhorn Beef Salami
- Chicken Liver Mousse - smooth silky goodness!
- Bratwurst - savory goodness!
- Sweet Hot Italian Sausage
- Breakfast Sausage - Fresh ginger, fresh garlic & sage, so much flavor!
- Al's Own Spice Rub - Just a bit of heat, less than 1% salt & tons of flavor!
- Sriracha Sauce - you've got to try it!
- Chicken-Roasted Poblano Sausage. The Original Don't be fooled by the cheap H.E.B. knockoff you've seen them advertise. These are the original & the real deal!!
- Artisan Vodka-Based Vanilla Extract We use Dripping Springs Vodka & age in oak barrels for a year!
- Artisan Rum-Based Vanilla Extract We use Railean Texas Rum, distilled in San Leon, & aged for a year in oak!
- Maple Cured, Maple Smoked Bacon - the Best in Texas according to the Houston Press
- Pate de Campagne - a no-holds-barred French classic complete with pistachios
- Artisan Aged Worcestershire Sauce, aged for 3 months to develop a rich, mellow flavor great for meats or in a Bloody Mary!
- Whole-Grain Chardonnay Mustard
- Tart Cherry Mustard
- Hoisin Sauce - Our own made-from-scratch & loaded with umami
- All-Natural Longhorn Beef Sticks - less that 4% fat!
Click Here to Shop On-Line
Follow me all week on Twitter - @gratefulbread. And please retweet me so I can get the word out to all of your friends.